Despite claims by manufacturers that baby sleep positioners can help reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), gastrointestinal distress, flat head syndrome and colic, the FDA and CPSC have received 12 reports of infants between the ages of 1 month and 4 four months who died when they suffocated in sleep positioners or became trapped and suffocated between a sleep positioner and the side of a crib or bassinet. Now, the FDA and CPSC are urging parents and caregivers to immediately discontinue use of these products, saying the risk of suffocation outweighs any benefits.
Most of the infants suffocated after rolling from a side to stomach position. In addition to the reported deaths, CPSC has received dozens of reports of infants who were placed on their backs or sides in sleep positioners, only to be found later in potentially hazardous positions within or next to the sleep positioners. The two main types of infant sleep positioners are flat mats with side bolsters or inclined (wedge) mats with side bolsters.
The CPSC has posted this warning on its website:
* STOP using sleep positioners. Using a positioner to hold an infant on his or her back or side for sleep is dangerous and unnecessary.
* NEVER put pillows, infant sleep positioners, comforters, or quilts under a baby or in a crib.
* ALWAYS place an infant on his or her back at night and during nap time. To reduce the risk of SIDS, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends placing infants to sleep on their backs and not their sides.
The lawyers are Neblett, Beard & Arsenault are currently investigating claims against manufacturers of faulty or defective childrens’ products. We have worked hard for families whose infants and children have been injured or killed as a result of defective products, and are closely following this recent warning from the FDA & CPSC. We will updated this information as it becomes available. Stay tuned.Read Full
According to Shreveport Police, a combination of rain-slicked roads and an 18-wheeler driver “not paying attention,” lead to a multi-vehicle collision on Interstate 20 near Greenwood. Thankfully, the wreck, which involved three 18-wheelers and several other vehicles, only resulted in minor injuries.
The crash left one 18-wheeler demolished, the second 18-wheeler was pushed into four-wheel vehicles and the third 18-wheeler exited the highway and ended up in the woods. One 18-wheeler driver had to be cut from the cab of the wrecked big rig.
Eastbound lanes of I-20 were closed while crews cleaned up the debris and leaked diesel fuel. The wreck caused a huge traffic back-up on both the eastbound and westbound lanes of I-20.Read Full
In a press release, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that a consent decree of condemnation, forfeiture, and permanent injunction has been filed against H&P Industries Inc., The Triad Group Inc., and three individuals who were responsible for producing and distributing s potentially contaminated with Bacillus cereus. Millions of products with the brand names of Triad Group,Cardinal Health, PSS Select, VersaPro, Boca/ Ultilet, Moore Medical, Walgreens, CVS and Conzellin were affected by the nation-wide recall.
Triad Group and H&P Industries of Hartland, Wisconsin, are accused of violiating good manufacturing standards and failing to heed FDA inspections and warnings about problems with contamination and sterility. Today’s actions mean that these groups cannot resume manufacturing and distributing drugs or medical devices until they establish an acceptable Quality Assurance and Quality Control program to ensure that all products manufactured in their facilities comply with federal standards for quality and have the identity, purity, potency and safety they are expected or are represented to possess. Additionally, about $6 million worth of products were seized by federal health officials over public safety fears.
A Industries have been sued by a Houston couple who blame the tainted pads for the death of their two-year-old son. The boy, who recently underwent surgery, was treated at the hospital with alcohol that were later recalled. The boy developed an infection with Bacillus cereus, and later died.Read Full